IAA Ignite Panel Debate 30 Nov 2016 : Is the Newspaper Immortal?
On Wednesday 30 November 2016 at the 125-year-old Royal Lake Club in Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysia chapter hosted Ignite, an event that functioned as a panel debate cum social network session.
Over 100 industry-related friends braved a tropical thunderstorm to enjoy an evening of wine, beer, soft drink and cocktail food, while listening enthusiastically to the face-off by the two debate teams.
John Chacko, President of the Malaysia chapter, addressed the event, after Prabha Nayar, Secretary of the Malaysia chapter, introduced the evening and the principal players.
With a globally topical subject matter, ‘Is The Newspaper Immortal’, the audience enjoyed the savvy ‘Aye’ and ‘Nay’ points delivered, rather passionately, by the debaters.
The moderator was legendary journalist Citizen Nades (Special & Investigative Reports Editor at The Sun), and, the debaters were Harmandar Singh (Founder & CEO of ADOI and Marketing magazines), Andreas Vogiatzakis (CEO of Havas Media Group Malaysia), Lee Yew Meng (CEO of Genovasi Malaysia), Malik Imtiaz Sarwar (Lawyer’s Lawyer and Social Activist), Siva Subramony (Love Guru at Switch-Up Sdn Bhd) and Sivananthi Thanenthiran (Executive Director at The Asian-Pacific Resource & Research Centre for Women).
Despite the evolving landscape in the manner in which people reach for and consume information and content, the moderator, after listening to the ‘Aye’ and the ‘Nay’ rationales put across by the teams, contended the debate a draw, to the rapturous applause from the audience.
Long after the debate, social networking was still going on, with glasses of single malt, wine and beer, calling it a day only around 2.00am, realising that, in seven hours, it would be a new working day!
Throughout the evening, the attendees elicited a promise from the Malaysia chapter that an event such as Ignite will be a regular feature on the calendar for 2017.
Partners and sponsors that made Ignite possible, include, BFM89.9 The Business Station, Dentsu Aegis Network, The Edge Financial Daily, Havas Media, JDC Brand Truth, Malaysian Advertisers’ Association, Marketing, Malay Mail, New Straits Times, The Star, The Sun and Visual Retale.
- ‘Does Creativity Pay?’ stimulates strong opinions at IAA Ignite Debate Series
- IAA Ignite Panel Debate 5 Oct 2017 : Creativity Doesn’t Pay. The Great IP Debate.
- 20 years of Publishing Excellence
- Friends of Friends by the IAA 4 July 2017
- IAA Ignite fires up and hotly debates burning question
- IAA Ignite Panel Debate 17 May 2017 : Who owns the brand? Marketer or consumer?
- IAA Elects New EXCO for 2017/18
- Wine & Cheese Evening 23 Feb 2017
- Notice of AGM to be held on 30 March 2017
- IAA Ignite Panel Debate 30 Nov 2016 : Is the Newspaper Immortal?
- Notice of AGM to be held on 18 March 2015
- Notice of EGM to be held on 28 April 2014
- Notice of AGM to be held on 26 March 2014
- The Inside Track
- IAA celebrates 75 years
- 75th IAA Anniversary Social
- IAA Malaysia Elects New Exco
- AGM to be held on 28 March 2013